Thursday, September 14, 2017

Sept 2017 School Board Meeting Comments

Good evening Chairman Sage, SB members, Dr Perry, and SB administrators, 

I appreciate the time to speak with you especially at an evening meeting that I can attend without missing time with my students. I apologize that no one was at the last meeting to speak on behalf of the WCEA. Being the second day of school we were not comfortable missing that class time with our students to be here. 

I would like to report that the year has gotten off to a great start. We have successfully completed our back to school meetings and professional developments. There was lots of positive feedback from instructional staff about the variety and quality of PD offerings. Staff also appreciated the abbreviated opening session which allowed for more time in the classroom to prepare for the beginning of school. I would like to send our compliments  to Dr. James and the Instructional administrators would planned and led these sessions. I would also like to thank the ITRTs who put on another successful Technology luau. There was great discussion I these sessions and many ideas shared which I'm sure have already made there way into classrooms around the county. 

Instructional staff is hard at work building on the successes of last year while adjusting to new schedules and new students. It's a fun time of year learning names, developing routines, and encouraging positive habits. We have welcomed quite a good crew of new teachers as well. Their energy and fresh ideas bring good vibes to the table. 

We enjoyed our Solar Eclipse day and am glad to report that no eyesight was lost despite the many concerns. The joy on students faces that day as they watched the eclipse was magically. Watching a kids face light up when something they've never seen before happens is a feeling I wish I could bottle and save. Moments like those we experienced that day is the reason most of us got into teaching. I hope you were able to see the joy on a child's face that day. 

Our curriculum is in full swing as we have already sent home the first midterm reports. We've already begun to identify those students who need support and are building ways in our schedules to provide that help. We are beginning to build toward our first formal assessments with benchmarks happening in just a few weeks. 

Finally I would like to thank you for seeking ways to recognize and reward staff for all that they are doing. We appreciate the duty free lunch times and the staff meals and free admission to sporting events. I've spoke with Dr Perry about other idea for recognition. That our meeting next week the WCEA will be working on a survey to send out to staff to get feedback on ore things that could be done. If you have anything to include please let me know. 

Thank you again for including us on the agenda and giving us time to slpeak

No comments:

Post a Comment